Meditation Music...


Strangely, it always reminded me of funerals. We just knew it by the name, 'Meditation Music'. It was much more than that. It was life. Ever since Jaya Ma'am passed away, everyday, right after the lunch break they'd play that piece over the classroom speaker. It was the single most haunting and beautiful piece of music that I'd ever heard. I'd always imagine it being played at her funeral. If there was ever music for the soul, that was it. It swept you away to a distant land of trees and turbulent oceans, torments you with its power, overwhelms you with its symphony before the final release. It was like flying, flying over hills and trees, flying into the cool breeze, flying free. Free of all worries, free of all weariness, free to live, to enjoy, to laugh and scream in joy. It was the best feeling ever.

Tonight, as I lay awake in bed fiddling with my mouth organ, that same tune came back to haunt me again. It still reminds me of funerals, but it means so much more. I remember writing a poem in school. It was of a comical nature, but the words I forget. The title though, I remember well, "Life is easy, but I'm no expert." Irony abounds everywhere. What wouldn't I give to roll back the years. Back to those mud huts with the straw roofs, running carefree around those clump of bamboo trees, sitting by the window, dreaming, the sky so blue. What wouldn't I give to get back those ten minutes spent in quiet solitude, those ten minutes of serenity that we just knew as 'Meditation Music'.


Comments

  1. Why do I have a lump in my throat? These mud huts have so many memories. Of starting out my teaching career with the B.ED classes here. Of meeting Jayadi for the last time and her telling "Bhaloi holo dekha kore geli"....maybe she knew.
    And of course it reminds me of that cold December morning when I left you there , all of 6 years and bewildered and lost. I remember your class teacher telling me that after some times you had cried "Yahan toh koi bhi nehi hai ..." Thanks for resurrecting memories of another day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The IIT story...

All in...